YoungandFree

Song of Peace

For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.
-- Zephaniah 3:17
Peace greeted me one evening in Spring. Our nightly routines were in rotation, dishes washed, and trash cans needed emptying. I slipped out the back door to deliver a bag in the bin by the side of the house.

Rounding the corner I looked up at the ripening fruit of our apple tree. Little globes still green and blushing pink like a bride in the presence of her Love.


Suddenly a gust of wind swept the hair across my face and the breeze continued down its directed course disturbing the leaves into swirls about me. Cool currents washed over me, like waves rolling in from ancient seas. Chill-bumps raised the hairs on my skin like tiny flames.

Then, still and small, hidden in the recesses of my heart, a familiar voice harkened.

"Lord? I am listening. What do you want to say?"


My Beloved whispered:

"The wind blows wherever it wants. Just as you can hear the wind but can't tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can't explain how people are born of the Spirit" (John 3:8).
Further still the Bridegroom beckoned me with his persistent seranade, as I heard above me the cries of a dove calling for its life mate. I rounded the corner of the yard where the pines stretched upward in the hues of dusk.

Peace continued his song, drawing me near. 

There. Lighted upon the peak of our home sat a Mourning Dove, its gentle coo echoing between the roof tops.
He will rejoice over you with joyful songs (Zephaniah 3:17).
Laughter bumbled out the door from inside the house. Our little girl played "ribbit and quack" in a tub of bubbles as Daddy puppeteered a duck and frog by the side of the bath.

At bedtime we read stories together, picture books all strewn on the floor. We prayed for peace and gave thanks. I tucked in the wee one, running fingers through softened curls, and sang her favorite lullabies. The music player was on repeat, and this refrain lingered in the room...
Sing of Your unending faithfulness  
That knows no doubt or fear
In the face of all that I don't know yet
Remind me of who You are


Sing over me
Draw me close to rest in Your peace
Sing over me, oh, sing
("Sing Over Me" by Bethany Dillon)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Please leave a comment or share a prayer request here.