YoungandFree

Go to Sleep Praising


Night time has been especially difficult since the day our little pumpkin came into this world. There were so many days as a new mom that I walked around like a zombie in yoga pants because sleep was illusive.

Early on when our baby was not even a year old we established a bedtime routine to help our reluctant sleeper. One of the pieces we put into our routine was playing music softly in her room as she drifted off to sleep—well, I don't know how often she quietly soothed herself to sleep, more like forfeited the battle from sheer exhaustion.

We really struggled in the beginning to help her quiet her little mind and relax her over-tired body. I would dim all the lights in the house, turn on her soft night light, and start music from a playlist I labeled Go to Sleep Praising, which included some of our favorite praise songs that she was familiar with.

Last night when I was getting her into bed, my head was somewhere else. I was tired and just wanted to fast forward our nightly stories, lullabies, and hand holding. But she reminded me to turn on her “God songs” as she calls them. So I walked over to press play on the little pink iPod on her dresser.

She began singing along softly, soothing herself into sleep mode, “Amazing grace, how sweet the sound...” I sat on the edge of her bed and was stilled. My hurried heart hushed.

Memories rushed in, how music had comforted me during my pregnancy when anxiety and worry overwhelmed me as I struggled to release my fears about the risk of another miscarriage. Revelation Song played on the radio and I would sing at the top of my lungs, "With all creation I will sing praise to the King of Kings!" I would pray then that this precious gift growing inside me would grow into a child of God, that her life would speak praise along with all creation.

And sitting there on her bed last night, I remembered how sweetly God sings over his children to quiet and comfort our hearts. 
For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.” ZEPHANIAH 3:17

My darling girl is at the age when she sometimes gets bad dreams. So as I pulled up her covers and tucked them snugly around her she asked me to pray for good dreams. I told my little dreamer that the Bible says to think of lovely things, things that are good and pleasing and worthy of praise. She smiled, “Like puppies licking my face?” Then she sat up to whisper in my ear.

We prayed for good dreams and gave one thousand kisses and one more at the door as God songs played over her into sleep.



(Check out a playlist on You Tube with some of our favorite songs. Enjoy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Please leave a comment or share a prayer request here.